The History is in the Name
In 1950, Varsity House began service as a men’s student dormitory. For the first six of the nine years as a University residence hall, the home was primarily occupied by starting members of the KU football “Jayhawkers”, as the team was then known. The name “Varsity House” derived from housing the football players, and the name stuck ever since. Although it ceased being a student housing facility in 1959, it remained a University property. In 2012, reconstruction of the old Varsity House began at the northwest corner of 11th and Indiana on the site of the brand-new Varsity House Apartment complex. Today, the newly reconstructed Varsity House serves as a 6 bedroom house to go along with our 53 unit complex.